Wednesday, June 04, 2008

ILUG 08: First day and last night.

And I'm Dublin for ILUG 2008, which I hope (and firmly believe) will be great. If the first evening can be taken as a clue about the follwing days this is promising. I guess it was our Lotusphere backpacks that gave us away, as Mary Beth Raven came up to us and said hello.

For You who don't know she is I can tell You that she is the lead product designer for the Lotus Notes Client. Read her blog, it's first hand information. I got the chance to discuss some features of the Notes Client, and humbly ask for better Citrix presentation support. I'll review them and maybe (It was late!!) post them om Ideajam.net

The first day of ILUG 08 featured and opening session. We were all welcomed by Paul Mooney, and presented key notes by Nick Shelness and Alan Lepofsky. To sum up:
Nick Shelness: We got the computing power but still waiting for the Killer App!.
Alan Lepofsky: Lotus is getting there!!

Now this is my view of what was presented, and I do believe this to be true. Lotus is very inovative and Lotus 8 based application may very well be the "Killer App!" we are waiting for.


Ofcourse I had to attend the Admin Blast session with Paul Mooney. If you ever have the chance, don't miss it. Already seen it? See it again. 90 minutes of great tips, this session is a must. I guess you will find a version of the presentation on his website, go and check it out.

I also attended Bill Buchan session about Web Services. Great!! Some very good information here and some pointers about caveats when it comes to designer/server version mixed.
We where also shown how easily one could make a Webserver comsumer using the generated WSDL file for a web service provider. It's pretty slick.

To top of the day I had to check out the speedsponsoring. Every sponsor got 5 minutes to present their product(s). The whistle blows and I move on to the next stand. And there is a lot of good products here. Some of them seems to meet my company needs and customer needs ofcource. I guess it boils down to pricing and return on investment.

No comments: